House fire (sort of) leaves family pet dead
ALBION—A house fire called in Monday afternoon (Sept. 14) at about 3:30 had no smoke or flames, but there was a casualty anyway.
The Greg Winemiller residence at 246 W. Pine was the subject of a fire report, as neighbors said they’d called it in because they had been smelling what they believed to be acrid smoke (although none could be seen).
Neighbor Berniece Stennett said she’d been smelling the foul odor for the better part of the afternoon and was worried there might be a fire.
Neighbors across the street from the Winemillers said their power had been flickering since about noon, but at 12:30, it went off altogether; Stennett reported that her house had power but her garage, a building with power lines coming off the same transformer as the Winemillers and the folks across the street, did not.
When firefighters arrived they were able to access the crawlspace under the residence and pulled away what appeared to be charred siding from the lower front part of the house in the process.
Firefighters brought in a heavy-duty fan to get rid of the fumes that smelled like smoke, so they could clear the house of whatever it was, and the neighborhood really began to stink.
Albion Mayor Ryan Hallam, a volunteer firefighter, said he believed he’d found the culprit, explaining that there had been a heating unit that had ‘melted’ and had created the acrid smell (state-controlled media is calling it an air conditioning unit…we’ll confirm for the print edition)…which did indeed smell like smoke. Hallam said he’d pulled down several burnt pieces but they were clear of fire.
Sadly, the ensuing fumes took the life of the Winemiller’s dog, Joy.
Firefighters stayed on scene for quite some time, creating a stir in the neighborhood.
More details as they become available.
Short URL: http://www.disclosurenewsonline.com/?p=932